From department store exclusives to mass merchant must-haves, shopping for beauty and skin care products has never been more varied, more colorful, more fun … And more complex. Are we buying what’s best for our skin tone? Will certain colors last longer than others? What treatments won’t dry out my skin?
You have questions. We have answers.
We asked metro Detroit’s modeling A-team to share their tips for looking camera-ready even when off the clock. Not married to any one line or merchant, their beauty regimens combine prestige brands with those found at the neighborhood drug store. Get ready for your close up.
Tiffany routine (Our cover girl)
1. Olay Complete UV Moisturizer with an SPF of 15, which to me, is critical to keep your skin looking young (Meijer)
2. MAC Prep and Prime Skin Brightening Serum which holds my look even on the hottest, most humid days (MAC)
3. I use Maybelline’s FIT line, where I can easily match base and powder to my skin tone. (Meijer)
4. MAC light pinkblush for subtle color on my face (MAC)
5. Love Trish McVoy Lash Curling Mascara which creates tiny tubes of mascara around my lashes for an all day look that doesn’t smudge (Neiman Marcus)
6. Kiehl’s All Natural Lip Gloss is lightweight and doesn’t feel sticky (Neiman Marcus)
Design Detroit asked make up artist Dana Vranish to give Tiffany an everyday look for fall. Dana used:
1. Bobbi brown tinted moisturizer SPF 15 in light to medium (Neiman Marcus)
2. Bobbi Brown bone eyeshadow (Neiman Marcus)
3. Trish McEvoy lipgloss in petal (Neiman Marcus)
Dana recommends products with UV protection, like the tinted moisturizers from Bobbi Brown (Neiman Marcus).
Wendy’s Skin Routine
1. Cetaphil-Daily Facial Cleanser is my favorite because it is mild/non drying for dry skin. Doesn’t strip the skin of it’s natural oils. (Drugstore)
2. Love the Dickinson’s Original Witch Hazel for a toner is effective in toning the skin, minimizing the pores and taking away any residue after cleansing. Witch hazel is natural and has been around forever! (Drugstore)
3. I splurge on the really heavy, rich moisturizers like Creme de La Mer feels like a blanket of moisture on my face and it’s my fav! Gives my skin that dewy look. (Neiman Marcus)
4. I have been using Kate Somerville’s new Line Release Under Eye Repair Cream. I think a good eye cream is extremely important, however, some of them will cause blurriness in your eyes if used too close to the eye, which is annoying! This one does not and can be used anywhere around the eye, so you needn’t worry about the perfect application!
5. Caudalie Beauty Elixir is a refreshing spray to add moisture to your face when you feel dry throughout the day or just need a little pick-me-up and it smells like a spa…fresh and natural. (Sephora)
6. Love Burt’s Bees Replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate Oil…soothing and hydrating and adds a hint of color to the lips. (Drugstore)
Wendy’s Make up Routine
1. I think natural, shiny skin is so youthful, that I hate to see women covering up with heavy foundations. Tinted moisturizers are a good alternative and I like the MAC Studio Moisture Tint. (MAC Stores)
2. Concealer is a must for me. I also like MAC’s Studio Sculpt Concealer…covers well without being too drying under the eyes.(MAC stores)
3. Brows are such a strength on a woman’s face, yet I think they are often overlooked. Anastasia makes a great line of eyebrow pencils, brushes, gels, etc. to help shape and define the brows. (Sephora)
4. Currently love the Cover Girl Volume Exact Mascara in Very Black. Doesn’t smudge or flake and is easy to remove and lengthens beautifully. (Meijer)
5. As I get older, I find that more color is a must on the face, whether it’s a bright coral blush, a fun green eyeshadow or a bright pink glossy lip. I usually try to pick one of those 3 areas to pump up with some color for a more youthful glow: “Blossoming” Blush Creme Pearl, “Fresh Green Mix” eye shadow and “Loud and Lovely” Cremesheen Glass for lips. (MAC stores)
6. A crisp white eye pencil liner on the inside lower lid can help open up the look of the eye and take away that tired look. Try it for a real eye opener! (Trish McEvoy, Neiman Marcus)
Nicolena’s Skin Routine
1. I love the Detox Body Scrub which doesn’t leave my skin dry like other scrubs
2. Rosewood Body Milk, which is a great moisturizer
3. Geranium Cleanser
4. I recently discovered the Jasmine Eye Balm which hydrates below my eye
All natural products from Source Vital available at Dayo Spa in Birmingham
Nicolena’s Make Up Routine
1. I start with Sheer mineral tint in Homey Glow
2.For everyday I use Super Copper Super Gloss because its in a squeezze tube and I can put it on confidently without a mirror which is a must. It’s very moisturizing and the finish is glossy but not sticky so its more like my version of lip balm.
3. I use Volume x Mascara in ink. It great root lenghthening and thickening without clumps.
Cynthia Skin Routine
1. Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil, which protects my skin while removing makeup and impurities in a single step. (Sephora)
2. I found after trying a few different cleansers Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Toner is the best for my skin. It gently removes traces of cleanser, make-up and impurities while leaving my skin looking matte. (Body Shop)
3. My moisturizer is Kiehl’s oil-free Blue Herbal Moisturizer, which absorbs quickly into my skin. Additionally, it reduces the appearance of pores. (Neiman Marcus)
4. My favorite eye cream is Origins GinZing Eye Cream, which will brighten and reduce puffiness under the eye. (Origins)
5. A great primer for me is Laura Mercier Primer, which allows my look to stay consistent throughout the day. (Neiman Marcus)
Cynthia’s Make Up Routine
1. Make Up Forever HD powder is a must have for models. This gives my face a soft finish, even on a bare face. (Sephora)
2. I love Chanel’s Eye Shadow Palettes. I like the versatility which the palette provides. I can go soft and subtle or more intense and dramatic. (Neiman Marcus)
3. For definition, I use the MAC Eyeliner, Industry. It is waterproof and long lasting. (MAC)
4. I use Rimmel Max Bold Curves Mascara. This gives my lashes volume and curl.